Sunday, July 15, 2018

Alert Bay 06/07-10/2018

Heather and I planned some diving in Alert Bay, and it turned out excellent as always. I took a side trip to visit Sointula as well. It was a Finnish community on the nearby Malcolm Island. It really was pretty!

An eagle greeted us on the way over.


The beaches of Sointula...


Our diving adventures were under the old breakwater as usual. Our first critter was a large helmet crab trying to remain inconspicuous.



The giant plumose anemones were spectacular as always.


I found a skateboard of all things!


The large painted anemones on the dock pilings always made good photo subjects.


The Red Irish Lords near Alert Bay were not as colorful as some, but they were still amazing.


A saddleback gunnel tried not to be seen in the shallows.


The visibility was excellent as always. Here is a shot looking up towards the surface between the dock pilings.


Another photogenic Red Irish Lord.


A moon jelly. We saw a few small lion's mane jellies as well.


I got a good picture of Heather waving to the camera.


Diving under the old breakwater always reminded me of being inside a Cathedral.


There was a very cool green kelp isopod. The picture came out blurry, but the video of it swimming turned out better. I had only seen this in the Aquarium before.


What was very encouraging were all the giant sunflower stars. Every time we have been back now, we have seen more. The sea star wasting disease seemed to be abating. We made a point of submitting all the sightings we made (I think there were 6 total, compared to last year when we saw 2).


I wasn't sure if this was another Red Irish Lord, or a buffalo sculpin. It sure was cool!


I put together a video compilation as well. I hope you enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment