Saturday, May 15, 2010

Whytecliff – The Cut 12/05/2010

Jason Kolba and I decided to go on a night dive to take advantage of the longer evenings. By the time we were done, it was still light enough to see! It was pretty nice not to have to gear up in the dark.

We did have some problems on the dive. Prior to hitting the water, I found that I had put on the wing for my BCD backwards. It was easily fixed, and noticed in our pre-dive checks. I won't be doing that again! Jason had his UK light die on him, too. We were going to do some skills at the end of the dive, but with a dead light decided against it. He had his backup light, though.

The dive itself was pretty nice. Visibility was pretty good, although dark. I figure maybe 40 feet or so. I forgot how many cool big cloud sponges there are at the Cut. We went right along the wall for 20 minutes at 80 feet, and then turned the dive and came back around 50 or 60 feet. It ended up being the planned total length of 40 minutes which was good. We turned back earlier due to a significant rise in current, but it didn't cut the dive too short. I missed the exit to the Cut and ended up halfway out to the day marker. I still hadn't gotten the hang of finding the exit point here. This time I was too deep and missed the signs of where to come up. It wasn't a big deal though.

A nice dive!

No comments:

Post a Comment