Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Ansell Place 02/01/2010

This was the first dive of the New Year! Emily called me up for a dive the night before, and we picked Ansell Place since I had found wolf eels there before and she'd not seen one yet. I was crossing my fingers that I'd find the den and that they'd be home.

It was high-tide at that time so that made getting into the water easier. It was always a concern walking over the slippery rocks at Ansell if the tide was out. Gearing up was less pleasant because there was a constant rain happening. But it wasn't so bad.

Once in the water, the plan was to head right down to about 24-25m and find the wolf eel den. From what I remembered, it wasn't too far along the wall maybe 3 or 5 minutes. I found it pretty easily. The log that I remembered seeing before was still there as a nice land mark. It had moved a bit though, and wasn't parallel to the wall but was perpendicular now. The big rock that the wolf eels were under before was very close to it. Unfortunately they weren't home. I circled around and checked all the angles but it was unoccupied. Too bad! We continued on and just had a pleasant dive. I did see two new fish, a mosshead warbonnet and a longfin sculpin. At least I'm pretty sure that was what they were. They were pretty small, only 2 or 3 inches long and without a camera I couldn't be sure on the identification afterwards.

On the way back we came across a 10 inch wide metal pipe coming down the wall. I had no idea what it was for, but it was probably some kind of rainwater runoff drain. I hope it wasn't sewage!

When we got back to the surface, it was still raining. Ah well. It was a nice little dive regardless of the rain and the missing wolf eels. We also talked about diving Buntzen Lake sometime as a freshwater dive. Hopefully soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment